Industrial Heritage

P1060937

Across the ward are tantalising glimpses of its industrial past. Perhaps the most obvious of these is the former Wapping Hydraulic Power Station which closed in 1977. Originally steam-powered, this base was built between 1889 and 1893 and used to supply power to machinery in the capital, particularly cranes and lifting bridges.

Twenty-three years later, the power station reopened as the Wapping Project, a restaurant and art gallery run by Jules Wright. The Wapping Project became well-known locally for its tasty Sunday brunches but has recently closed after being bought by a local property investor.

P1060926 P1060990 P1070045 P1070120 rig background

Add a Comment